The death of 17-year-old Elijah Washington, whose body was found by his father beneath the Larimer Avenue Bridge Wednesday afternoon, is latest in a string of shooting deaths that have taken the lives of young men east of Pittsburgh since Aug. 1.
The Post-Gazette is reporting that Washington suffered a gunshot wound to the head. His father, Marvin Washington, and brother went looking for him after hearing that he might have been with a group of teens Tuesday night in an area where gunshots were fired, just about 3 miles from Regent Square.
According to WTAE-TV, Pittsburgh police said the investigation is active but no one is in custody and they have no motive.
Not even a month ago, Brandon Johns, 18, who had graduated from Woodland Hills High School in June, . , 23, of Clairton with homicide, robbery, tampering with evidence and conspiracy in connection with Johns' death.
Among other recent shooting deaths:
- in a wooded and overgrown area behind a vacant home in the 1100 block of Sherman Street in Wilkinsburg on Sept. 1. The man, identified as George Anthony Cox Jr., 22, of Pittsburgh, died of two gunshot wounds and his death has been ruled a homicide.
- and two others were injured in a shooting near the intersection of Wallace Avenue and Coal Street in Wilkinsburg on Aug. 24.
- at about 3 a.m. Aug. 9 in the 1100 block of Pitt Street in Wilkinsburg. for any information in this case.
- Vondre Griffin, 23, a former quarterback, was one of two men arrested in connection with a .
- Brandon Jones, 35, of Wilkinsburg was shot and killed Aug. 1 after a fight in front of his house in the 500 block of Coal Street, Wilkinsburg.