In addition to the routine calls during the last week, Edgewood police handled two more unusual cases.
On Oct. 6, Edgewood police assisted the Pennsylvania State Police after a car hit a raccoon while traveling on the Parkway East near Edgewood and then rolled over several times.
The occupants were transported to UPMC Mercy hospital for treatment.
On Oct. 3, a juvenile used a lighter to set fire to a pillow display in the Kmart at Edgewood Towne Centre. The youth was charged with arson, risking a catastrophe, criminal mischief and disorderly conduct. He was taken to Shuman Center.
In other police news:
- A. Folino Construction pulled down a support wire for traffic lights in the 1100 block of South Braddock Avenue. The wire was removed from the road and secured to a pole until it could be properly fixed, according to the police report.
- Edgewood police assisted the City of Pittsburgh police in the pursuit of a vehicle that passed through the borough onto the Parkway East, where it crashed and the suspect was taken into custody. The incident started with a call about a gun incident in East Hills.
- Police responded to a call for a suspicious man who was loitering and begging for money at Edgewood Towne Centre.
- Two men and a woman walking in the Wine & Spirits store on Irvine Street drew the attention of an employee who called police. The three people are known to steal from both the Swissvale and Waterfront state stores. Police advised the manager to refuse to let them come in the store should they show up again.
- A neighbor called police to report loud music coming from an apartment in the 200 block of Edgewood Avenue.
- A blue Volkswagen with numerous parking tags that had been stolen from Wilkinsburg was recovered on Savannah Avenue.
- A resident of an apartment in the 1000 block of South Trenton Avenue reporting hearing someone upstairs in an unoccupied apartment. Police checked and doors were secure and there was no sign of forced entry.
- A man attempted to kick in the front door of a home in the 300 block of Dewey Avenue. He was taken into custody, transported to district court for arraignment and then taken to Allegheny County Jail by a Wilkinsburg constable.
- Edgewood police assisted Wilkinsburg officers on a call about an armed man violating a protection from abuse order in the 1400 block of Clark Street. The man fled the scene and eluded capture.
- A juvenile stole three packages of chewing gum valued at $12.54 from the Giant Eagle in Edgewood Towne Centre. The store will prosecute.
- An elderly resident of the 500 block of Allenby Avenue told police that a man called her to tell her she had won the lottery and that she needed to wire $500 to pay the taxes. Police advised her how to handle the situation.
- Edgewood Volunteer Fire Department responded to a report of a natural gas odor in the 1300 block of South Braddock Avenue. The source of the smell was not located.