Edgewood police reponded to four retail theft incidents at the Giant Eagle in Edgewood Towne Centre during the first half of January—and the stolen items were an unusual mix:
- A man attempted to remove a greeting card valued at $2.49 and a doughnut valued at 89 cents on Jan. 14.
- A woman and her two children attempted to remove six items valued at $60.16 on Jan. 13.
- A 28-year-old woman stole razors and deodorant totaling $90.68 on Jan. 12.
- A woman attempted to steal some Fancy Feast cat food and some Vivarin tablets, with a total value of $14.41 on Jan. 4.
Giant Eagle will handle all the incidents through private prosecution.
- Police responded to a report of a woman screaming for help from inside a vehicle in motion. The woman told the 911 center that her husband was beating her. Multiple jurisdictions were involved in finally stopping the vehicle in Braddock Hills. Police issued the woman a citation by mail for disorderly conduct.
- A woman left the Giant Eagle Pharmacy after a dispute with the pharmacist without paying for her prescription. The medicine was valued at $8.12. Retail theft charges will be filed by mail.
- A Giant Eagle manager noticed a woman shopping in the store who had committed two prior retail thefts. The woman had been told by the manager and the the loss prevention officer on Nov. 6, 2012 not to return to the store. She will be charged with defiant trespass.
- A resident of the 1200 block of South Braddock Avenue discovered that someone had broken her rear cellar window out and damaged a wooden door attempting to gain entry to her home.
- A man was transported to an area hospital after a one vehicle accident in the 400 block of West Swissvale Avenue.
- A resident reported a suspicious person, possibly carrying a firearm, near the corner of Edgewood and Maple avenues. The man reportedly entered a maroon vehicle but police could not locate him.
- A passing motorist struck the foot of a Habitat for Humanity ReStore employee with the vehicle's rear tire in Edgewood Towne Centre. The man refused medical treatment.
- An incident of possible sexual assault in the 500 block of Allenby Avenue is under investigation by the Allegheny County general investigations unit.
- Police responded to a verbal domestic argument in the 200 block of Edgewood Avenue. A mother and daughter were advised.
- Edgewood police assisted Swissvale Police Department with dispersing a 50-person party in the 2500 block of South Braddock Avenue.
- Edgewood police assisted Swissvale police with an ongoing violent domestic incident. One person was taken into custody.
- Edgewood police assisted Swissvale police with a report of a man chasing a woman on Edgewood Avenue near Columbia Avenue.
- Police cited a woman for disorderly conduct after she overdosed on 15 bags of heroin while in her parked car near Giant Eagle in Edgewood Towne Centre.
- Edgewood police assisted Wilkinsburg Police Department with an accident involving a Wilkinsburg police vehicle. A Wilkinsburg officer was transported to a local hospital with a shoulder injury.
- Police responded to a purse snatching at Edgewood Towne Center. A woman was shopping when an older black woman snatched her purse and ran out of the store. The purse contained an iPod and $100 cash. Police were unable to locate the suspect.
- Edgewood police assisted Pennsylvania State Police with multiple accidents with injuries along the Parkway East.
- Police responded to a report of kids throwing snowballs at a house in the 300 block of East Swissvale Avenue. They were gone before police arrived.
- Police advised some skateboarders to quit skating in Edgewood Towne Centre.
- During a traffic stop near the corner of Swissvale and Rebecca avenues, police recovered less than an ounce of marijuana in the car. The driver was issued a citation and released.
- Edgewood police assisted Wilkinsburg police with a vehicle and foot pursuit of a man on Rebecca Avenue. Wilkinsburg police apprehended the man.
- A resident of the 100 block of Lloyd Avenue reported a suspicious man leaning against a retaining wall. Police talked to the man and sent him on his way.
- A man was arrested during a domestic incident on West Swissvale Avenue. He was taken to Allegheny County Jail night court for arraignment.
- Edgewood police assisted Swissvale police with a felony warrant being served in the 1900 block of Monongahela Avenue. The suspect barricaded himself in the residence but exited before the SWAT team arrived.
- Police responded to assist the Port Authority police with a report of a man hit by a bus near the intersection of Edgewood Avenue and Lacrosse Street. When they arrived, police found that the man had fallen getting into the bus and suffered a large contusion on his forehead.
- Police responded to a domestic incident in the 300 block of East Swissvale Avenue. Police advised two women to keep the noise down.
- Police responded to a report of a man arguing on the phone. The man was advised by police.
- A white SUV struck a car in the 500 block of Allenby Avenue, then left the scene. The car sustained minor damage to the front bumper.
- A hit-and-run accident occurred on Race Street. One of the vehicles fled the scene.
- After a traffic stop in the 200 block of East Swissvale Avenue, a man was taken into custody by police for Act 64 (controlled substances) violations and transported to Allegheny County Jail.
- A Toyota Tacoma was damaged while parked in the Giant Eagle parking lot at Edgewood Towne Centre.
- A man fell from a 12-foot ladder while brushing snow off a bus at the Western Pennsylvania School for the Deaf. He was transported to UPMC Presbyterian for a possible fractured ankle.
- Police advised two men who were fighting over each others' driving.
- Edgewood police assisted Wilkinsburg police with a domestic incident in the 1800 block of Montier Street.
- Police handled a dispute between neighbors in the 1200 block of South Braddock Avenue.
- Edgewood police assisted Pennsylvania State Police with a vehicle rollover on the Parkway East outbound.