Edgewood Borough police are on the lookout for possible scrap metal thieves in the area.
A resident of the 700 block of Walnut St. reported that metal scaffolding was stolen from the rear of his house sometime between 9:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. on Jan. 22.
In other Edgewood police news:
- A hit-and-run accident occurred in the 1100 block of South Braddock Avenue. An unidentified white Chevrolet hit a black Honda causing minor rear-end damage. The Chevy was gone from the area by the time police arrived.
- Police issued a citation to a man for yelling at employees in the Edgewood Towne Centre Giant Eagle because he said they weren't waiting on him fast enough. He was cited because of the language he used and witnesses hearing him scream, according to the police blotter.
- A minor hit-and-run accident occurred at the intersection of Race Street and East Swissvale Avenue. Police were able to contact the owner of the vehicle that left the scene.
- Police responded to what turned out to be a false alarm at Edgewood Elementary School. However, they discovered an unsecured garage door in the rear of the building. Police searched the building and nothing was amiss. A keyholder arrived and secured the building.
- A Wilkinsburg resident reported that his DVD player was stolen from C.C. Mellor Memorial Library at about 4:30 p.m. Jan. 21.
- Police assisted Edgewood Volunteer Fire Department with an incident of burnt food on the stove in the 800 block of East Hutchinson Avenue.
- Edgewood police assisted Swissvale Police Department with a robbery in progress at J.R.'s Restaurant and Lounge in the 2000 block of Noble Street. A suspect, described as a black male wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt and black jacket with white writing, fled the scene in the direction of the Swissvale police station. He was not located.
- Police issued two citations to a man driving with a suspended license due to driving under the influence and a non-valid license plate.
- Police responded to a dispute at the Mirror Image Salon after a customer refused to pay $6 for an eyebrow wax.
- A resident of an apartment in the 100 block of Elm Street called police to report that he suspected his brother of damaging his door lock. The two brothers had been involved in a dispute on Jan. 18. The resident was advised by police to file a civil complaint.
- Police assisted Edgewood Volunteer Fire Department with a report of an odor of a possible electrical fire in the 200 block of Elm Street. Upon investigation, the smell was found to be coming from a light ballast.
- A man reported his wallet was stolen while he was shopping at the Dollar Tree in Edgewood Towne Centre. The wallet contained $100 cash, credit cards and keys.
- Philip Hessler, 34, of Bethel Park is charged with two counts of driving under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance after registering .145 percent and .158 percent on a breath analyzer test. The legal limit is .08 percent. Edgewood police filed the charges via summons.
- Edgewood police assisted the Pennsylvania State Police with a motor vehicle accident with a rollover and vehicle on fire.
- A resident found a 6-year-old boy wandering on the sidewalk in the 300 block of Maple Avenue. Police determined that he had left the Western Pennsylvania School for the Deaf on his own during a basketball game. Police made contact with his babysitter and he was released back to her.
- Police responded to the fourth domestic call in four months to a home in the 200 block of Center Street. Police issued citations for disturbance of the peace, a borough ordinance, to both parties.
- A woman was caught stealing $53.18 worth of food from the Giant Eagle in Edgewood Towne Centre. She had an outstanding warrant against her on simple assault charges. She was transported to Allegheny County Jail. Edgewood police issued her a non-traffic citation for summary retail theft.
- A tractor trailer scraped a parked car in the parking lot at the Giant Eagle in Edgewood Towne Centre.
- Edgewood Volunteer Fire Department and police responded to How Lee on South Braddock Avenue for a report of a natural gas odor. A small gas leak was located outside the structure. The gas company was notified.