Thieves Target Cars, Obama Signs in Forest Hills
The latest police reports from Forest Hills.
- Police arrested Michael Vanauken and charged him with endangering the welfare of a child, reckless endangerment and public intoxication. According to the police report, the mother of Vanauken’s son told police she came home from work to find Vanauken passed out on the coach and soaked in urine. When she woke him up, they began arguing and he pulled on the leg of their son, whom she was holding. The woman told police she didn’t know when the child had eaten last or how long he had been left unattended.
- Officers assisted Wilkins Township police in responding to a burglary on Dorothy Street.
- An Elmore Road resident reported that someone broke into her car overnight and stole an iPod and roughly $10 in change. The resident said her daughter’s vehicle was broken into as well, but nothing appeared to be missing.
- Additional residents—two on Elmore Road and one each on Sherwood Road and Lloyd Avenue—reported that their vehicles had been entered overnight and ransacked, but nothing of value appeared to have been stolen. Another Elmore Road resident said a man tried to break into his car and ran away after the resident yelled at him.
- An Edgewood Road resident reported that someone had stolen a political sign for President Barack Obama from her yard.
- An Overdale Road resident reported that a political sign from President Barack Obama’s 2008 campaign had been stolen from her yard. According to the police report, political signs in other yards on the street appeared to be untouched, and officers hadn’t received other complaints.
- A man told police that someone had thrown tomatoes at his car, which was parked on Elmore Road, sometime between the previous evening and that morning.
- Officers assisted Braddock Hills police in handling an assault.
- Police arrested Richard Lubanovic and charged him with public intoxication after they found him fighting with a woman over a bottle of vodka on the sidewalk on the 300 block of Avenue A. According to the police report, Lubanovic had outstanding arrest warrants out of Glassport, and officers turned him over to a constable.