Shooting of Teen Rocks Area Hit Hard by Gun Deaths
The death of Elijah Washington is the latest in a string of shootings that has taken the lives of young men in the East End, Wilkinsburg and Braddock Hills.
The death of 17-year-old Elijah Washington, whose body was found by his father beneath the Larimer Avenue Bridge Wednesday afternoon, is latest in a string of shooting deaths that have taken the lives of young men east of Pittsburgh since Aug. 1.
The Post-Gazette is reporting that Washington suffered a gunshot wound to the head. His father, Marvin Washington, and brother went looking for him after hearing that he might have been with a group of teens Tuesday night in an area where gunshots were fired, just about 3 miles from Regent Square.
According to WTAE-TV, Pittsburgh police said the investigation is active but no one is in custody and they have no motive.
Not even a month ago, Brandon Johns, 18, who had graduated from Woodland Hills High School in June, was gunned down Aug. 8 in a Braddock Hills apartment building. Allegheny County police charged Eugene "Gene" McCarthy, 23, of Clairton with homicide, robbery, tampering with evidence and conspiracy in connection with Johns' death.
Among other recent shooting deaths:
- A badly decomposed body was found in a wooded and overgrown area behind a vacant home in the 1100 block of Sherman Street in Wilkinsburg on Sept. 1. The man, identified as George Anthony Cox Jr., 22, of Pittsburgh, died of two gunshot wounds and his death has been ruled a homicide.
- Emery Lamberto, 15, was killed and two others were injured in a shooting near the intersection of Wallace Avenue and Coal Street in Wilkinsburg on Aug. 24.
- Timothy Boyd, 41, was gunned down at about 3 a.m. Aug. 9 in the 1100 block of Pitt Street in Wilkinsburg. Police and Boyd's widow are appealing to the public for any information in this case.
- Vondre Griffin, 23, a former Woodland Hills High School quarterback, was one of two men arrested in connection with a fatal shooting outside the after-hours Sportsman's Club Aug. 5 in McKeesport.
- Brandon Jones, 35, of Wilkinsburg was shot and killed Aug. 1 after a fight in front of his house in the 500 block of Coal Street, Wilkinsburg.