Planet Fitness Evacuated After Shower Steam Sets Off Alarm
Here's the Edgewood police blotter for the last week.
The Edgewood Towne Centre gym was evacuated until firefighters determined it was a false alarm.
Also in Edgewood police news from the last week:
- Edgewood police assisted Pennsylvania State Police with a three-vehicle accident on the Parkway East.
- Giant Eagle in Edgewood Towne Centre reported two retail theft incidents. The store will handle the incidents through private prosecution.
- A female was creating a disturbance at Villa in Edgewood Towne Centre. Police cited her via summons for public drunkenness and disorderly conduct under borough ordinance.
- Police responded to a call about an intoxicated man walking on East Swissvale Avenue. Police discovered there was an outstanding warrant against the man. He was turned over to Allegheny County Sheriff's Department.
- Two children were left outside Edgewood Elementary School because their mother was running late to pick them up. An officer stayed with the children until their mother arrived.
- An intoxicated man attempted to drive a damaged vehicle along South Braddock Avenue on Feb. 3 and ended up hitting a car parked in front of D's Six Pax & Dogs. Edgewood and Swissvale police searched for the car, which was located in Swissvale. Swissvale police arrested the driver for driving under the influence.
- A man attempted to remove six items valued at $70.86 from the Giant Eagle. He had no prior theft convictions and the store will handle the incident through private prosecution.
- Edgewood police assisted Swissvale police with a call about two men fighting in the 7900 block of Graff Street. The men were gone when police arrived.
- A woman called police after a friend took her 2-year-old son out of the Kmart store. The friend had taken the boy with her to pay a phone bill at another location, but the woman said she was unaware of the fact they were leaving the store. The friend and boy returned, and the woman apologized for calling police.
- A resident of the 500 block of Greendale Avenue reported that his mail had been tampered with and a personal check for $251.14 was stolen. The resident cancelled the check through the bank. Police advised him to notify the U.S. Postal police.
- A man living in the 100 block of Maple Avenue made threats to harm people at another location but police did not find him at home. Later in the day, police found him at home and transported him to Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic without incident.
- Edgewood police assisted Swissvale officers with a call that a man had been shot in the leg in the alley behind the 7400 block of Duquesne Avenue. Officers secured the scene and detained two men who were hiding inside a garage behind the crime scene.
- Edgewood police assisted Pennsylvania State Police with a one-vehicle accident on the Parkway East. The driver was not injured but was arrested for driving under the influence.
- A vehicle got stuck in the mud and slid into the fence behind Edgewood Elementary School. The driver had a suspended license. She will be issued a citation by mail.
- The manager at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore in Edgewood Towne Centre called police after finding a loaded firearm in a drawer of a dresser that was being sold at the store.
- Edgewood police assisted Edgewood volunteer firefighters with a faulty fire panel that set off an alarm at Kmart.
- Edgewood police assisted Wilkinsburg police with a report of an open door at Security Systems of America on Ardmore Boulevard. A check of the building showed nothing out of order and the door was secured.
- Edgewood police assisted Swissvale police with a report of a violent domestic argument in the 2200 block of Hawthorne Avenue. A man attempted to barricade himself inside the residence. One man and one woman were taken into custody.