Friday is the 52nd annual Light Up Night in the City of Pittsburgh. Although it’s exciting to kick off the holiday festivities, there are a few parking restrictions and road closures to be aware of if you're headed Downtown from the Forest Hills-Regent Square area.
Pittsburgh police recommend that visitors use parking garages and surface lots to ensure that visitors aren’t parked in a restricted area. They also want you to be safe while you’re Downtown, and remind visitors to remove valuables from view and keep vehicles locked.
The following roads will be closed or restricted during Light Up Night:
- Smithfield Street between Fourth and Fifth avenues will be closed from 6 to 8:30 p.m. for the unveiling of the Macy’s window at 6:15 p.m. After 6 p.m., all bus traffic will be detoured. Off duty police officers will man the barricades at Smithfield and Fifth, Smithfield and Forbes and at Smithfield and Fourth.
- Commonwealth Place will be closed from 4 to 10 p.m. for Santa Spectacular. Off duty officers will man the barricades at Commonwealth and New Penn and Commonwealth and Ft. Duquesne Blvd.
- Delray will close from 2 to 4:45 p.m. and set up on the Fifth Ave Place sidewalk will take place.
- Liberty Avenue will close from 6 to 10 p.m. between Fifth Avenue and the turn-around at New Liberty/New Penn. An off duty police officer will man the road closure. The parade will go through this area at about 6:45 p.m.
The following streets will be closed for various Light Up Night activities:
- Fourth Avenue between Wood and Stanwix streets from 4 to 10 p.m.
- Forbes Avenue at Wood Street and all of Market Square from 9 a.m. to midnight.
- Andy Warhol Bridge from 9 a.m. to midnight.
- Rachel Carson Bridge around 10 p.m. for the fireworks show.
- Ft. Duquesne Boulevard outbound between Stanwix Street and Rachel Carson Bridge from 6 to 10 p.m.
More information can be found on the Downtown Pittsburgh Light Up Night website.
In addition, some Port Authority bus routes will operate on detours Friday and Saturday.
Most Light Up Night detours will go into effect at 6 p.m. Friday, with detours on some routes beginning earlier. Approximately 50 bus routes will be detoured Friday, with detours lasting through the night. About 40 routes will be detoured Saturday between 4:30 p.m. and 7 p.m. for a parade.
The Port Authority recommends that riders allow for extra time when traveling. Two-car trains, Subway Local service and articulated buses on key routes will be provided to accommodate crowds.
If you take any photos at the Light Up Night activities, you can share them with your neighbors here.