Flood Watch, High Wind Warning Issued for Allegheny County
The National Weather Service reports that there is potential for flooding and wind damage as the remnants of Hurricane Sandy approach western Pennsylvania early this week.
As Hurricane Sandy continues to churn in the Atlantic Ocean, the National Weather Service in Pittsburgh has issued a High Wind Warning and Flood Watch for Allegheny County.
Under the Flood Watch—in effect 6 a.m. Monday to 7 p.m. Tuesday—prolonged and heavy rain associated with a cold front and a post Tropical Storm Sandy might cause some flooding. According to the NWS, areas that get more than two inches of rain on Monday and Tuesday might flood where drainage is poor. Larger rivers also might be impacted.
The High Wind Warning is in effect from noon Monday to 7 p.m. Tuesday. Winds could blow 25 to 35 miles per hour with damaging wind gusts of 50 to 60 miles per hour. Winds could knock down trees and power lines.
Monday through Wednesday Forecast
- Monday—Rain. High near 45. Breezy, with a north wind 15 to 20 miles per hour, with gusts as high as 32 miles per hour. Chance of precipitation is 100 percent. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
- Monday Night—Rain. The rain could be heavy at times. Low around 39. Windy, with a northwest wind 28 to 30 miles per hour, with gusts as high as 47 miles per hour. Chance of precipitation is 100 percent. New precipitation amounts between three quarters and one inch possible.
- Tuesday—Rain. High near 45. Windy, with a northwest wind 23 to 28 miles per hour becoming northeast 16 to 21 miles per hour in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 44 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100 percent. New precipitation amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.
- Tuesday Night—Rain before 3 a.m., then rain and snow. Low around 35. Chance of precipitation is 90 percent. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
- Wednesday—Rain and snow showers, becoming all rain after 10 a.m. High near 43. Chance of precipitation is 90 percent.
- Wednesday Night—Showers likely. Cloudy, with a low around 35. Chance of precipitation is 70 percent.
Stay in touch with the Forest Hills-Regent Square Patch for the latest updates. You can share your observations at the bottom of this story or upload your photos and videos on the Pics & Clips page.
Here are some resources to help you monitor the changing weather conditions:
Forest Hills Emergency Services
Allegheny County Emergency Management Preparedness
Duquesne Light Power Outage info and Safety
Share your weather observations and resources below in the comments section.