Edgewood Police Respond to Several Nearby Gun Incidents
Police also deal with harassing text messages, retail thefts and a stolen car.
Edgewood police responded to several shooting incidents in neighboring Wilkinsburg over the past week, as well as some smaller incidents within the borough.
- Someone smashed the front window of a car parked in the 100 block of Ivy Street sometime between 8 and 11 a.m.
- Police are investigating a report that student at Western Pennsylvania School for the Deaf was receiving harassing text message by cell phone.
- Edgewood police assisted Wilkinsburg Police Department with a report of two females arguing in the 500 block of Montview Place in Wilkinsburg. The women were gone by the time police arrived.
- Wilkinsburg police requested assistance from Edgewood and Swissvale police to handle a possible gunman barricaded in My Three Sons store at the corner of Laketon Road and Robinson Boulevard. SWAT was called to the scene. Police took one man, possibly a squatter, into custody for questioning. Officers found shell casings and bullet fragments outside the store. They also recovered two guns from inside.
- Edgewood police filed a charge of retail theft against a man who attempted to remove two bottles of lotion valued at $11.99 from the Giant Eagle in Edgewood Towne Centre.
- Police report that license plates stolen from a car parked in Edgewood were recovered on a vehicle parked in Turtle Creek.
- Edgewood, Swissvale and Rankin police assisted Wilkinsburg police requested backup for a man shooting at officers at the end of Elm Street and Foliage Street. Police found two men at the scene and detained them. Officers also recovered a firearm.
- A 20-year-old woman reported being followed by a man dressed all in black. Although police found no one in the vicinity, the woman was given a ride to the East Busway.
- Edgewood officers assisted Swissvale police with a report of shots fired in the 7200 block of Church Street. Nothing was found in the area.
- Edgewood police assisted Wilkinsburg Police Department with a report of a large group of individuals on Hunter Street in Wilkinsburg possibly throwing guns. Police took one man into custody.
- A loss prevention officer at the Giant Eagle in Edgewood Towne Centre caught a man stealing at the store. The store will handle prosecution.
- A resident of the 100 block of Race Street reported that her tires had been damaged four times since Edgewood Community Day, though she told police that she also filed reports with Pittsburgh police because the damage might be occuring in the city.
- Edgewood officers assisted Wilkinsburg police after a man was shot in the 1100 block of Franklin Avenue while urinating off a second-floor balcony.
- A black Acura stolen from Dewey Street was recovered in Wilkinsburg.